Rachel reviews Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
So a few weeks of ago, I was looking through the new books for teens and trying to decide what to order. Part of how I do that is reading through the summary of the book and deciding whether or not I would read the book. This is one of the ones I not only decided I would read (the cool cover is a plus too), but I immediately put on request so that I could be one of the first ones to get my hands on it. Yay me!

This book begins with Finnikin as a young boy who is close friends with a prince and princess of Lumatere. At least he is close to them until one horrific night when assassins enter the kingdom murdering the entire royal family and seizing the throne. In the days to come (known as the five unspeakable days), a powerful priestess is blamed and is ordered to be burned alive by the imposter king. However, before she dies she places a curse on the kingdom which allows nothing to either escape the kingdom or enter it until a rightful king returns with the exiles to retake the kingdom.

For ten years Finnikin searches the land for exiles and for any sign that the prince may still be alive. Along the way he meets Evanjalin, a girl who claims that she walks the dreams of their people and can help lead them to the royal heir. However, her unpredictable behavior makes her nearly impossible to trust. She is obviously not all she appears to be, but the truth may be more than Finnikin can handle.

Overall, I really liked this book. The story was full of suspense and was very entertaining. One of my favorite authors, Kristin Cashore reviewed the book as well. Here's what she had to say: "The world of this book is dark and beautiful and utterly believable; and, as I've come to expect of Marchetta's work, the characters are wonderfully complex. Here is an author who writes fantasy as well as she writes realism -- and in the case of Melina Marchetta, that's high praise, indeed!"
0 Responses

Post a Comment