Going where?
Once upon a time, I thought I was rebellious. One might wonder what daring acts or special feats I accomplished to deserve this status... well, agonize no more, I'll tell you. I avoided popular books like the plague. So "in your face" to all those who tried to tell me what I should read! I wanted nothing to do with award winning books, classics, or anything else that was supported by masses of people. Why? I'll tell you that too... Because there is no way a bunch of stuffy old people sitting around in a room of dusty books handing out prizes willy nilly could possibly  know what is "good." Don't get me wrong. I've always loved books, I just thought that I was a better judge of books than everyone else.

Hmpf.

Only thing is somewhere along the way I caved. Might be that it started with some of the most popular teen series in the last few years like Inkspell, Harry Potter, or even Twilight. But however it happened, I found myself joining the cult of readers who can acknowledge that when a book is hugely popular, hey, it just might be good.

That being said, recently Libba Bray's novel Going Bovine received the Michale L. Printz award for excellence in young adult literature. *Congratulations to Mrs. Bray* Well, naturally I hadn't read it yet as I'm still trying to overcome my rebellious nature. But, Internet stalker that I am, I was reading her blog with her story about when she first found out that her book had been selected for the award, and it was freaking hilarious. I seriously laughed out loud. If she's that funny on her blog, I thought, I can only imagine what her book must be like. Of course, I put in my request for it and now have it in my hands. I've made it through the first chapter, and I was already dying to tell you guys about it... I've already made Dave read the first few pages! I guess this is me officially throwing in the towel on my rebellious nature because I'm officially saying that maybe those old people sitting in a stuffy room somewhere actually know a thing or two about books.

This is my challenge to you... Give it a try! Go to the library and request a copy of Going Bovine and let me know what YOU think about it!

Oh, and don't worry. I'll provide an official review as soon as I'm done. :)

Until next time...

-Rachel
0 Responses

Post a Comment